Friday, October 29, 2010

No Longer Shall We Pärt

I was on my way to work yesterday thinking about classical music of today and, unlike the popular music of today, I think we are in a truly plentiful era for classical. While I really hate that term because it reeks of elitism, I think it's true. Sure we're lost many greats in the last 10 years or so, but the current legacy that many of today's classical composers are leaving will be felt for generations to come.

Arvo Part may be the greatest of them all. Pärt was born in Estonia in 1935 and has been creating truly elegant and breathtaking pieces since the 70s. His word is firmly embedded in minimalism (like many composers of his generation) and takes inspiration from many sacred forms including Gregorian chanting. When I listen to a Pärt composition on my way to work on the bus, I feels like some one has released a beautiful white bird who is elegantly soaring through the air and I am the only one who is lucky enough to see it. His music transcends beyond the confines of simple pop music and achieves much of the beauty and grandeur of his previous classical masters.

Here is one of his best known pieces for your enjoyment.



EDJ

No comments:

Post a Comment