Sunday, September 12, 2010

Great Day of Digging


I live in a very trendy area of downtown Toronto called Leslieville that has a lot of unique shops and restaurants. On top of this, the summer season also has more than its fair share of garage and yard sales. I went to one yesterday only to find an obscene amount of records for sale. You should know that this is always the first thing I look for when I go to garage sales, so needless to say I was quite happy to find such an excellent selection. Sadly, I was not the first one there and the man in front of me gave me a very dirty look when I also approached the boxes that he was carefully inspecting. When I had the audacity to pick up a De La Soul record that he had already claimed, he snapped at me by saying "that one's already taken." My first reaction was a laugh at his social awkwardness and then I went back to looking.

There are a few things you should know about record collectors. They are often:
a) male
b) socially awkward
c) obsessive and overly protective of their records
d) looking of a great deal
The men at this sale today met all of these categories and hovered over these records like moths to a flame. I don't exclude myself from these people, but I like to think that I'm not quite as obsessive and don't covet records like a sacred text. Nonetheless, I found some great finds and I can't wait to give them a spin.

EDJ

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, yeah, yeah. The real question is when are you going to review "Warhol's Portrait of Gretzky"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. and what a masterpiece it is. Holy crap, that portrait defines the 80s!

    ReplyDelete